Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

Why you shouldn't start out with a really cheap "toy" Ukulele

When I was looking to buy my first ukulele, I found several ukuleles that cost less than 30$ online. Now, when I say 30 dollar ukuleles, I'm talking about the ones that look like toy. I'm not talking about the cheaper Lanikai and Makala ukuleles that cost around 60 dollar.

I almost instantly pulled the trigger on one of these "toy" ukuleles, but decided to read up on them a little bit more. I found mixed reviews, but what do you expect from a sub 30 dollar ukulele, right? I had several options at this point. I could have bought a cheap ukulele and try it out before investing on a more expensive ukulele, or I could spend a little bit more for a better sounding and feeling ukulele.

I decided to take my second option and go for a more expensive ukulele. I ended up buying a Fender Nohea Tenor Ukulele instead of a cheap 30 dollar ukulele, and I'm going to tell you why. Some people feel that you need to start off with something really cheap to see if you will like the instrument or not. Why spend more on something you might not like, right? I thought the exact same thing.

My logic for getting the more expensive ukulele is that if I spend 30 dollars on a ukulele that doesn't sound too good, that would put me off playing hte instrument overall. I'd be more motivated to learn if I played something that really fells good in my hards. I felt that the Fender was right for me, and so I bought it.

Now, this way of thinking doesn't apply to everyone. Some of you might understand all of the limitations of getting a 30 dollar ukulele, and will not judge the instrument based on the particular one that you are using. A lot of you like me, however, will feel much more comfortable with an Ukulele with a nice sound and feel. To be honest, if I had bought a 30$ toy ukulele, I might not be playing as much as I do today.

I hope this blog post really gets you thinking, and helps you out with your purchasing decisions. What are your thoughts on my logic about buying your first ukulele? I'd really like to know!


Til next time! Peace!
Nico

1 comment:

  1. ADM 21" Economic Soprano Ukulele Start Pack from Bizarkdeal

    This ukulele is perfect for beginners, both children and adults! This soprano sized ukulele comes package nicely, in a super duty cardboard box, so it arrives in perfect condition. This kit includes everything you will need to get started, plus a few extra things, including: One soprano ukulele, neck strap, 2 picks, electronic tuner, polishing cloth, and ukulele bag. Upon receiving your ukulele, plan on spending around 5-10 minutes adjusting the strings, and tuning it. New ukuleles don't hold their tune very well for the first few weeks as they need to adjust to the temperature, humidity, and stretching....so plan on tuning it before playing it every time. You also have an electronic tuner, with battery included to help you find the correct notes on each string. The strings were loose as they came, but now that it is properly tuned, they feel great, and this ukulele is sounding great! Beginners will appreciate the picks, so their fingers don't get worn out from practice. I have really enjoyed playing around on this cute little ukulele, and think it's a great kit for the awesome price. The paint job is really smooth, shiny, and looks awesome. The sounds is good to for an inexpensive ukulele. Tuners are usually an extra ten dollars or so, so considering all the pieces of this kit, this is a great deal. Also included are a few extra strings, in case you have one break. But I haven't, so that's a good sign! Ukuleles are fun for children, and adults, so anyone will love this classic instrument!

    ReplyDelete