Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Fender Nohea Koa Tenor Ukulele Review!

So it's been over a week since I got the Fender Nohea, and I think its time that I review this ukulele. Now before i start, I just want to say that this is my first ukulele, and I'm very new to the instrument, so this review wont be too technical, and really just more about my experience with the instrument.


 http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0955640021

Price: $199

What it comes with:
The ukulele itself
A gig bag
Comes standard with Aquila Strings (The newer stock, at least)


It you order this ukulele from Amazon, it comes in the gig bag, placed in the box, and inside an even bigger box (almost bigger than me!) with lots of thick paper around it to prevent it from getting damaged in shipping. I was really impressed with how it was shipped to me!


Review

First, I'm going to talk about the appearance of the ukulele. One of the reasons I chose this ukulele over other entry level ukuleles that were cheaper and got better reviews was because of how it looked. It had a laminated koa top, which means its not solid koa wood. It's essentially made out of ply wood, with a layer of koa over it. I have to say that this is one of the most beautiful ukuleles I've seen. Of course, it is nothing like a Kamaka, but it does look fantastic. It has the Telecaster headstock which, to me, is just plain awesome!

The feel of the ukulele is also great. It is a Tenor, so it's a pretty big ukulele. The action is very nice straight out of the box, not too high or not too low. The frets are done nicely, I didn't get any buzzing at all.  The Aquila strings that it comes with are really nice, and make the ukulele sound really bright. Aquila strings really help get strong volume out of laminate ukuleles.

The sound it very hard for me to judge because I haven't played too many ukuleles, so I have very little to compare it too. On its own, it sounds fantastic. Again, the Aquila strings may have a lot to do with this. They really get a lot of volume from the ukulele, and make it sound bright. Overall, it's a great sounding ukulele

Now to the price/performance ratio. A lot of you that are looking at this ukulele may also be looking at other, cheaper ukuleles from other brands like Kala, Lanikai and others, and might be wondering if the $100 you would spend on this ukulele over a $100 Kala Tenor ukulele is worth it. I'm going to have to say it depends. With the Fender, you are paying a bit more for the brand, and for the look of the ukulele. I could have gone for the cheaper option when I was looking for a first ukulele, but I chose the more expensive Fender instead. The reason for this is that I was always leaning towards the fender, and I didn't think I'd be satisfied if I didn't get it. I thought that if i spent the extra cash, and was happier, I'd play the instrument more often. Now, that was the case for me. If the Fender is not more appealing aesthetically than the other, cheaper entry level ukuleles, you should really go for the cheaper Kala or Lanikai ukuleles. They probably sound the same, or even better, for half the cost of this one.

Overall, I think the Fender Nohea is an ukulele that people should consider for their first ukulele. It looks great, and sounds even better! I recommend that you look at all other options, though, as there are many other cheaper (and possibly better) alternatives out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment