Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Beginner Ukuleles - What Ukulele Brand Do I Buy?

Beginner Ukuleles - Brands

One of the most common questions people ask is “What is a good beginner ukulele?”. It can be though choosing first ukulele, especially when you have never played the instrument before. There are so many different ukuleles out there to choose from, and it can get really confusing. I’m going to try to outline some of the good choices as first ukuleles. Ukuleles that don’t cost too much, but perform well. I went through tis whole process, and these are some of the brands that I looked at.



Kala Makala (www.kalaukulele.com)


Kala is a very well known ukulele manufacturer. Although they are not hawaiian made, they are very good value for money. They have nice entry level ukuleles that have “Makala” branding, but they are made by Kala. You can but a pineapple, soprano, concert or tenor ukulele for less than 100$! For those of you that aren’t sure if you guys are going to stink with the instrument, this is a very good option for you. The best thing about Kala ukuleles are that you can find them almost anywhere! They sell them on Amazon and may instrument stores around the US. If you aren't sure of the quality, there are a few famous artists that use Kala ukuleles. Christofer Drew Ingle of Nevershoutnever uses a Kala (of course, his costs a bit more than the entry level ukuleles)


Some good models:

Pineapple - MK-P Pineapple Soprano
Soprano - MK-S Soprano
Concert - MK-C Concert
Tenor - MK-T Tenor



Lanikai (www.lanikaiukes.com)




Lanikai is also a very well known ukulele manufacturer, and are also not Hawaiian made. They are very much like Kala ukuleles in that they are available in many places, and have a very good cost/performance ratio. If I’m not mistaken, Jason Mraz sports these ukuleles. These are also available in Amazon and in music stores around the US.


Some good models:

Pineapple - LU-21P
Soprano - LU-21
Concert - LU-21C
Tenor - LU-21T


Kamoa (www.kamoaukulelecompany.com)




Kamoa ukuleles are supposed to be some of the best entry level ukuleles out there. There are Hawaiian made, and guarantee that you get a good product. They have a very affordable E Series, or Economy series, that is perfect for all of you that want a great instrument, but don’t want to spend too much money. They are made with mahogany, and are supposed to be very well built. They have a pineapple, soprano, concert and tenor model in their E series lineup. The E series models range in price from 120-200$. If you’re interested in these models, and do not live in Hawaii, you can get them through ukuleleunderground.com or ukuleleuprising.com!


Some good models:

Pineapple - E-P
Soprano - E-S
Concert - E-C
Tenor - E-T



Of course, there are tons of other brands that you can choose from. Theres Oscar Schmidt, Fender and numerous others. I myself chose a Fender as my first uke. Please understand hate the ones that I mentioned above are ukuleles that I think are good choices for beginners. They are some of the most available ukuleles, and have a very good price/performance ratio. I didn’t really dive into some of the more expensive ukuleles. Lastly, I suggest that you purchase that ukulele that you really like, even if it may not be the best option. I went for a Fender ukulele even if it has gotten a lot of mixed reviews on the internet. I felt that it was the one i really wanted to play, and so I got it. I’m 100% happy with it and cant seem to put it down!


I really hope this helps all of you are are choosing your firs ukulele!

1 comment:

  1. ADM Mahogany Soprano Ukulele Beginner Kit from Bizarkdeal

    I have ALWAYS wanted to learn how to play a ukulele !!!
    I love the rich mahogany wood that this particular one is made from, its called a SOPRANO ukulele...
    This set is SO NICE!
    It comes with a nice fabric case, with a strap and it has a handle.., two pics ad an electric tuner! I never knew they made electric tuners, it makes tuning SO simple now!
    The included a cloth for wiping your ukulele down so you always keep it nice.
    Its has nylon string which are supposed to be easier on your fingers.
    Since we have this beautiful and fun UKULELE all my grandkids want to learn how to play!!!
    I am learning how to play by watching videos and as soon as I feel comfortable sharing a song with you, I will!
    This is a very nice combination set, perfect for a beginner, ( Like me).

    ReplyDelete